to our mailing list
Vysokopillya districtWelcome to Vysokopillya district that tell the history of Ukrainian-German friendship and brotherhood. The main village of the district – modern Vysokopillya – until 1915 was called Kronau and owes its appearance of German settlers.
Kronau was founded in 1869. Already in the first years of existence here on seasonal work came Ukrainian peasants from Poltava and Chernihiv provinces. After working season, some of them stayed here hibernate, later married, wound up farming and lived together with the Germans, while good studying their culture, language and customs.
Gradually, the village formed four communities: Ukrainian, German, Russian and Hebrew. They were different in number; however, each has played a prominent role in the life of the area. Representatives of national communities frequently intermarried among themselves, and as a result appeared Ukrainian-German and other families.
In the mid-80s of the nineteenth century there began to work in a small brewery. Later, the Russian merchant Uhym Torlin built in the colony steam mill and contributed to the emergence in 1916 the first railway in the district. Three times a year here were fairs that gathered farmers, artisans, and commercial people from surrounding villages. At the turn of the centuries in the colony already worked 5 shops, tavern, wine cellar, beer and small-minded bench.
All around there were 36 settlements, 29 of them were German. During the period from 1935 to 1944 region has experienced several reorganizations, including liquidation. In present borders the district exists since December 1966 and is located in the north of the Kherson region in the basin of Ingulets river, right tributary of the Dnieper.
Be sure to visit Vysokopillya district – a model of interethnic friendship, mutual respect and tolerance.
Other products in category Territories
- 04.03.2012 Sofia Falts-Fein
- 04.03.2012 Alexander Erdely
- 09.12.2011 George Deliev
- 03.10.2011 Kamenskaya Sesh
- 12.12.2011 City of New Kakhovka